The angle grinder, also known as a grinder or disc grinder, is an abrasive tool used for cutting and grinding. It is one of the most powerful as well as the most commonly used tools in the toolbox. With its compact size and high speed, the angle grinder can work efficiently.
The construction principle of an angle grinder
The angle grinder comprises a handle, a protective cover, a cutting and grinding blade, and a pressure plate. It has a rotating shaft at right angles to the motor shaft. The angle grinder uses AC or DC power (rechargeable batteries) as a power source to drive the motor at high speed to rotate the cutting or grinding blades.
Angle grinders are popular with professionals and DIY enthusiasts. It improves efficiency, reduces labor, and is a relatively economical and practical power tool. Of course, angle grinders are also absolutely violent tools. Angle grinders have a very high speed, often reaching tens of thousands of revolutions, and can quickly become dangerous if not used properly. There are, therefore, many safety issues to be aware of when using an angle grinder. Here are some detailed safety guidelines.
- Select an angle grinder of the right size for the needs of your work.
- The angle grinder must have a securely fitted wheel cover, and the bracket must be no more than 5 mm from the wheel.
- When installing the grinding wheel, the nut must not be too loose or too tight. You should check the nut before use.
- After the grinding wheel has been installed, make sure to test it by idling for 2 to 3 minutes. Check that it runs in balance and that the protection devices are correctly and reliably.
- Check that the grinding wheel is in good condition before use. There should be no cracks, fissures, or wounds. Whether the grinding wheel shaft is firmly and reliably installed. There is no debris between the angle grinder and the guard, and whether it meets the safety requirements. Make sure there are no problems before starting the angle grinder. 6.
- Check that the accessories are intact and that the cable is not aging.
- Take protective measures before using the angle grinder. Bring a safety helmet, goggles, protective gloves, dust mask, and wear suitable work clothes.
- The speed must be stable for 40 to 60 seconds before grinding when starting the grinding wheel. When sharpening tools, people should stand to the side of the grinding wheel and not face it to prevent the grinding wheel blades from breaking and flying out, and injuring people.
- It is prohibited for two persons to use one grinding wheel at the same time. The operator should stand on the side of the angle grinder to grind. Do not stand on the front of the grinding wheel to prevent the wheel from breaking and causing a safety accident.
- The operator should stand at an angle to the angle grinder when grinding. The operator should stand at an angle to the angle grinder, and the contact pressure should be even, and it is strictly forbidden to hit the grinding wheel to prevent it from breaking.
- The grinding wheel should not be wet and should be kept dry to prevent it from getting damp and losing balance and accidents occurring.
- Do not allow grinding of more extensive and extended objects on the angle grinder to prevent shattering of the grinding wheel and flying out to injure people.
- Do not grind with the workpiece in one hand to prevent breaking the grinding wheel if it falls off in the guard.
- When cutting or grinding, do not place flammable and explosive objects within one meter of the angle grinder.
- The angle grinder should be stopped for a break after long periods of use and cooled down before continuing to work. Prevent the angle grinder from being damaged by high temperatures and causing accidents.
Precautions after use
- the operator must always dress the grinding surface of the grinding wheel and use a diamond pen when serious tool jumping is detected.
- the grinding wheel should be replaced in time when it is badly worn.
- switch off the power supply after work is completed and do not leave the angle grinder idling. You should always clear the dust accumulated in the guard and regularly overhaul and replace the spindle lubricating grease.
The best tools can become the most dangerous if they are not used properly. Therefore, the safety awareness of the operator is critical. We also hope that we can all operate them in a regulated manner when using angle grinders and stay away from danger.